21: An Educator on a Mission to Inspire Fellow Moms | Christine FurmanJul 21, 2020
Christine Furman‘s motto is support, inspire, educate. She began her career as an elementary special education teacher and spent 10 years in the public school system. In 2017, she founded Momspiration412 with a vision to support fellow moms. Christine and Emily discuss how to advocate for kids who may feel like a “misfit.” More specifically, Christine and Emily share how to “right size” curriculum to kids of all ages and abilities.
- “The biggest thing I took away was not setting expectations for them, not limiting anyone and letting them prove to you what they’re capable of.” – Christine Furman
- “Adaptability is so key. There is no one size fits all solution in school, in life, in work, and getting our kids to lead and express their own needs and guide us in what works for them is such a great way to go about parenting and schooling.” – Emily Melious
- “Don’t stop. Keep finding the people. There are a ton of people out there that are advocates that are skilled in a specific therapy or profession or whatever it is your child might need.” – Christine Furman
- “Trust your gut, stay persistent, and find your allies, because they are in the system, but you might have to dig a little to find them.” – Emily Melious
- “It really just starts with making a commitment and showing up.” – Emily Melious
- “Moms, you’ve got this because you know your kids better than anyone else. You just have to follow your gut, follow your heart, and they will love you no matter what.” – Christine Furman
- 0:58-6:56 – Experience as a special ed teacher
- 6:56-11:22 – Advocating for those that have no advocate
- 11:58-12:50 – Staying out of the negative headspace
- 12:52-20:01 – Momspiration412
- 20:02-22:05 – EduPlay
- Learn more about Momspiration412
- Join the Momspiration412 Facebook Group
- Learn more about Christine’s EduPlay system
Leave a Review
Enjoying the Mothers of Misfits Podcast?
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other M.O.M.'s hear about us too!