33: Growing Up with Dystonia | Zak WeinsteinOct 13, 2020
Zak Weinstein was diagnosed with Focal Dystonia at the age of 8, a condition that disrupts the communication between his brain and arms. Rather than focusing on his disability, he celebrates his abilities, particularly as an avid tennis player.
- “Funny enough, for a long time, I always thought I was pretty cool because I was the one in class who’d sit in the back and be able to type on the laptop.” – Zak Weinstein
- “One of the big things was giving me space to figure out what’s comfortable.” – Zak Weinstein
- “I honestly would say that tennis in a way, kind of saved my life. It’s what keeps me sane.” – Zak Weinstein
- “It’s amazing because every single person that I played tennis with through high school, through college, with the exception of my roommate, doesn’t know I have the disability.” – Zak Weinstein
- “I want to be defined by who I am and how I act and not by the disability.” – Zak Weinstein
Leave a Review
Enjoying the Mothers of Misfits Podcast?
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other M.O.M.'s hear about us too!