38: The Life Autistic | Hunter HansenNov 17, 2020
Hunter Hansen was diagnosed with autism at age 16. Today, he is a full-time data visualization professional, husband, and father. He shares his personal journey of initially struggling with the label to now openly advocating for the autistic community.
- “I was young and I didn’t realize that hey, I’m not deficient, I’m different.” – Hunter Hansen
- “I am normalizing something that was once way more stigmatized than it is, to where autistic people have stable jobs.” – Hunter Hansen
- 2:25 – Why there’s not an adult voice in the autistic world
- 5:06 – The journey of being diagnosed
- 11:14 – Speaking out
- 17:29 – How the autism stigma has changed over time
- 21:45 – How we can make progress
- 26:51 – Advice for parents
Enjoying the Mothers of Misfits Podcast?
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other M.O.M.'s hear about us too!