44: How to Navigate IEPs in Virtual School | Patty MaxwellDec 29, 2020
Some IEPs just don’t translate well to virtual schooling. Patty Maxwell, a licensed behavioral specialist, provides strategies for families to effectively engage the school and get to a solution that works for everybody.
- “I think overall, the schools are really trying their best. There are a few bad apples out there or whatever, but I think that the teachers are struggling just like we are.” – Patty Maxwell
- “Many teachers are parents. They’re living both sides of this equation.” – Emily Melious
- “If you go right for the jugular, you’re not going to get very far when you’re that parent that is crying and whining and complaining and making a big stink. Usually they kind of write you off.” – Patty Maxwell
- “I’m always open to consulting with an educational advocate or consulting with an educational lawyer. I think that there’s no harm in that. But as soon as you open the door to them having access to the school districts, that kind of puts up a wall between you, your child, and the school.” – Patty Maxwell
- “There are statistics out there that are like 40 to 50% of kiddos in school districts are failing at least one class. And that’s insane. And these are kids that have never failed a class in their life.” – Patty Maxwell
- “The best thing you can do for your child is to talk to them, ask them how they’re feeling. And, you know, after sitting in front of my computer for six to eight hours, the last thing I want to do is sit on the couch and talk about TikTok because that’s what my teenager wants to tell me about. But having that communication, listening, no blaming, no shaming, just listening to what they have to say is huge.” – Patty Maxwell
- 1:11 – Patty’s experience with virtual schooling
- 3:35 – Hybrid & virtual schooling with IEPs
- 6:50 – How to effectively advocate for your child with an IEP
- 9:45 – When to look for legal help
- 11:34 – What to do when you think your child should have an IEP but doesn’t
- 13:41 – Practical strategies to help families find peace and happiness in a post-COVID world
- 21:24 – How to get in touch with Patty
- Patty’s website: engagekidz.com
Leave a Review
Enjoying the Mothers of Misfits Podcast?
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other M.O.M.'s hear about us too!