50: How to Foster Civility in Our Kids | Sejal ThakkarFeb 09, 2021
Sejal Thakkar dubs herself “Chief Civility Officer” and “Legal Training Ninja.” In her 17 years as an employment law attorney, Sejal encountered plenty of incivility in the workplace. She shares simple, approachable strategies to foster civility in our kids and set them up for success in life.
- “The reason why I go about the civility angle is because that’s something that’s a common language that we all speak and that we all want.” – Sejal Thakkar
- “When I say diversity, it’s basically differences. Not any specific kinds of differences, but we all have a different way of looking at the world.” – Sejal Thakkar
- “To achieve civility, we all need to makes sure that we make that time to get to know each other.” – Sejal Thakkar
- “Bias, the way I define it is just, it’s another word for preference.” – Sejal Thakkar
- “I honestly will tell you this last year of being at home and homeschooling my son has been the best year of my life. I wish I could homeschool him for the rest of my life, because the opportunity that we have as parents to be able to instill this wonderful information, to help prepare them for their futures, we can easily do that if we just give them our time and attention.” – Sejal Thakkar
- “We have to make time to do this work with our kids so they can be set up for their future.” – Sejal Thakkar
- 1:15 – Why Mom’s should be thinking about civility
- 2:40 – Defining civility
- 10:29 – Discovering your own bias
- 14:53 – When to start talking about bias
- 17:49 – When bias becomes personal
- 21:53 – How do we equip our kids to deal with bullying?
- 24:50 – Get in touch with Sejal
Enjoying the Mothers of Misfits Podcast?
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other M.O.M.'s hear about us too!