71: Who Are You Calling a Misfit? | Dr. Mona DelahookeJul 06, 2021
Mona Delahooke, PhD, is a licensed clinical psychologist with more than 30 years of experience caring for children and their families. Mona and Emily talk about reclaiming the term “misfit” and redefining what it means to be “typical”.
- “There isn’t such a thing as typical. And if you’re going on a standardized test and if your child’s scored off of a certain test, that’s an outdated philosophy.” – Mona Delahooke
- “I don’t believe there are any misfits nor do I believe that it should be a pejorative label. I think we should celebrate our differences.” – Mona Delahooke
- “In our quest to maybe even very innocently create categories, we create good or bad, we create better or less than, and that’s just not what it’s like.” – Mona Delahooke
- “It’s hard to be the first person, but if we all commit to doing our small part in talking about the goods, the bads, and the uglies of being human and being a parent and all that goes with it, I think we’re going to get to a better place in terms of here’s what’s narrowly accepted and here’s everything else.” – Emily Melious
- “What we really want to do for our kids is help them to feel like they have a passion and they’re good at something. And they’re interested in it, whether that’s beekeeping or drawing pictures or illustrating or singing songs or writing poetry, or simply just being who they are and blessing the world with their uniqueness. It’s really awesome to take a step back and reconsider what we think success is.” – Mona Delahooke
- 1:32 – What being a misfit really means
- 5:53 – Autism
- 14:11 – Celebrating the imperfect
- 23:02 – Matching your parenting style to your child’s nervous system
- 27:00 – Parenting with the nervous system in mind
- 29:45 – Top down vs. bottom up behaviors
- 33:31 – Mona Delahooke’s books
- Mona Delahooke’s Books
- Instagram: @MonaDelahooke Facebook: The Visible Parent Twitter: @monadelahooke
- Intrigued by some of the topics Emily spoke about? Schedule a free discovery call with her today to learn how you can be the best advocate for your children and help them learn to thrive in a one size fits all world! Schedule a Discovery Call
- Find out more about how Emily can be a resource to you and your family by visiting our Work with Emily page as well.
Enjoying the Mothers of Misfits Podcast?
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts to help other M.O.M.'s hear about us too!